Tourist info

Novi Sad & Suburbium

Novi Sad is a university, culture, festival, tourist and fair city of international importance. During its three centuries of existence Novi Sad has always been and has remained the gathering point for people from different national backgrounds. Today, it is home for 23 national minorities.

Because of the intense development of cultural institutions, in the 19th century, Novi Sad was dubbed the Serbian Athens. At the time it was home to numerous important artists, writers, scientists and other culture workers and intellectuals who lived and created in the city. By the beginning of the 20th century it was the residential place to Albert Einstein and his wife Mileva Marić Einstein.

In 1960 the University of Novi Sad was founded, which today consists of 14 faculties and a great number of institutes and centers for scientific research. Beside the University of Novi Sad, the city also has two private universities and a large number of faculties, together making Novi Sad proud of its professional and creative human resources, but also its youthful spirit.

Novi Sad is today a modern, university, culture, tourist, science, political and administrative center for the Province of Vojvodina. It is the city of museums, galleries and theatres, a traditionally rich festival city of an international character. The city is recognized as a safe, healthy and encouraging environment for living, working and investing in.

Even though it has more than 300,000 inhabitants, making it the second largest city in Serbia, Novi Sad retains its easy and relaxed way of living, without much rush, characteristic for heavily populated cities.


The Suburbium of Petrovaradin Fortress has remained intact as a monument of the time it was built in, with authentic 18th century buildings. As such, we can view it as a museum-city of sorts, too!

Beside St. George church, built in 1701, Baroque in style, but without the usual flamboyancy associated with Baroque, we also find in our Gradić the home of Josip Jelačić, whose cellar, today,is a premium tavern, offering superb wine, but also prosciutto, olives, sheep’s cheese, and other delicacies. One of the most magnificent buildings in the Suburbium is Belgrade Gate, constructed in 1753. Classical in style, itconnects the Bastion of St. Ignatius with the Bastion of St. Ernest, and above its oval-shaped gateway it depicts Novi Sad’s coat of arms. Also worth mentioning is Joseph’s Powder Mill, located in the Water City (Wasserstadt) of Petrovaradin Fortress, which was named in 1991 as a cultural asset, or more precisely as a spatial cultural and historical entity of great importance.

Along the bank of the Danube stands the restaurant “Aqua Doria”, which, besidesoffering an impeccable menu, allows visitors to enjoytraditional music, performed by the most eminent tamburica ensembles, and was listed byTrip Advisor among its top 5 restaurants in Novi Sad. For all those visitors with a sweet tooth, the family workshop “Multi-Tarte” in Belgrade Street offers a wide range of quality and diverse treats, prepared according to original recipes.

Legend says that the Suburbium once also housed 80 pubs, and now only a few remain, but among them is the iconic “Dublin”, which you can read about in the novel “Kiša i hartija” (Rain and Paper) by Vladimir Tasić, Novi Sad’s most important contemporary chronicler. Fans of alternative American and British rock’n’roll culture are frequent guests at this establishment, located in beautiful Štrosmajer Street.

As such, the courtyards of our Gradić, with a bit of renovation, can easily beimagined as the set location for the second part of Bertolucci’s “Stealing Beauty”, or some new film postcard by Woody Allen.


Media Support